Sunday, July 30, 2017

Artists' Materials Collection Continued (With Pictures!)

Time is definitely flying by at the Amon Carter, and a lot of progress has been made on cataloging the Artists' Materials Collection! As of now, I have reached accession number 266 (so about 266 sets have been cataloged) and the overall records completed are about 1,600. At this point, I am just over halfway through the collection and will hopefully be able to complete it by time the internship ends (August 25th). In addition, I am creating a cataloging manual that will serve as a guide on how to catalog any future entries that are added to the collection. The manual is pretty much complete, I just need to add a few more things and discuss it with the archivists to see what needs to be corrected. I started the second big cart of objects and took a "before and after" of the box full of objects not cataloged and the previous box that has been completed and ready to be stored:


Here are some of the interesting objects that I have cataloged recently (including my little paper numbers to show which object is which):

This is a Devoe & Raynolds photo oil set that was used to paint black and white photos. There have been a couple sets that were designed for this purpose, this is the only one I've cataloged so far that is in a wooden box. The set included 16 colors, medium, turpentine, varnish, and some other tools.


This is a Victorian watercolor set that includes 12 colors, a marble palette, metal water dish, two sticks of Sumi ink (many watercolor kits from this era included Sumi ink), and a paint brush.

Additionally, I have been working on a blog posting that will be included on the Amon Carter's blog and will soon be helping create label text for one of the exhibit cases that is in the Library at the Amon Carter. These last few weeks are going to be very busy, but I am very excited to continue and hopefully finish the catalog soon! 


5 comments:

  1. Everything you are doing sounds so cool, those objects look so interesting to get to work with!! Good luck with finishing cataloguing the other half of the objects! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I would like to hire you to come and organize my closet! :) The "before" and "after" of your objects is very compelling. I love the organization and orderliness of it all.
    The objects you are working with are magical! I love thinking about who used them and what they made with those tools.... that must be fun to daydream about as you're working :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! :) It's been really nice starting with a large mess (that mostly I made) and then seeing it get turned into nicely organized units.
      Yeah, it is really interesting, some of the objects have handwritten notes from those that owned them that mark the date or their name or whether it was a gift and its really fascinating.

      Delete
  3. Alex! That is SO FREAKING COOL! I'm so jealous you get to have one on one time with those objects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eee! I cannot contain my excitement for this project! Cataloging for the library and hands-on activities must be such hard work but I can imagine how fulfilling it must be.

    ReplyDelete