It really is hard to believe that this summer is halfway
over! After just spending a blissfully relaxing week at the Emerald Coast in
Florida, I am back at work in the UNT Art Gallery office working on the UNT Art
Path.
I spent the month of June going through files, sifting
through old research, and conducting new research. For a few of the more contemporary pieces, I
had the opportunity to contact and interview the artists. Although I am all for
visitors creating personal interpretations of artworks, I must say, getting to
speak with the artists about their intentions has been really cool. After
spending an hour on the phone with Barett DeBusk, CVAD alum and creator of the
giant rock-swing piece located outside the Art Building (see below for image
with correct, official title) I learned that the piece was a Voertman Competition
winner in 1976 and was placed in it’s current/permanent position illegally (aka
without approval).
This week, I am starting to write the copy for the new and
improved Art Path brochure. This text will be modified and used for permanent
signage/ID labels for many of the pieces included in the Art Path.
Through this research I have learned that I really enjoy
writing and contributing to labels and gallery didactics. It feels like I can
wear my art historian and art education hats at the same time. In these next few
weeks, I plan to submit my first draft for the brochure and narrow down my copy
for the signage/labels.
More updates to come later!
-Katy
Katy, I am super excited for the new brochure! I feel like I don't see as much of campus as a I should (read: I need to leave the art building more often), and this seems like a great reason to wander around. Maybe for our internship presentations you could bring us out to one of the sculptures and tell us all of the crazy things you learned about it!
ReplyDelete